- RSS Channel Showcase 8707600
- RSS Channel Showcase 4565071
- RSS Channel Showcase 3759550
- RSS Channel Showcase 6311512
Articles on this Page
- 02/18/18--06:47: _Panel discussion at...
- 02/23/18--22:28: _Ten proposals from ...
- 03/02/18--13:43: _Five Things to Know...
- 03/17/18--06:42: _Homelessness and em...
- 03/21/18--05:51: _Ten proposals from ...
- 05/02/18--13:33: _Saskatchewan budget...
- 09/10/18--08:20: _Call for federal su...
- 02/18/18--06:47: Panel discussion at federal NDP policy convention
- 02/23/18--22:28: Ten proposals from the 2018 Alternative Federal Budget
- 03/02/18--13:43: Five Things to Know About the 2018 Federal Budget
- 03/17/18--06:42: Homelessness and employment: The case of Calgary
- 03/21/18--05:51: Ten proposals from the 2018 Alberta Alternative Budget
- 05/02/18--13:33: Saskatchewan budget misses opportunity on rental housing assistance
- 09/10/18--08:20: Call for federal support of cancelled Ontario basic income project
Yesterday I spoke on a panel discussion on economic inequality, along with Andrew Jackson and Armine Yalnizyan. We were guests at the federal NDP’s policy convention in Ottawa. The panel was moderated by Guy Caron. Topics covered included the minimum wage, basic income, affordable housing, the future of jobs, gender budgeting, poverty among seniors, Canadian […]
I’ve written a blog post about this year’s Alternative Federal Budget (AFB). Points raised in the blog post include the following: -This year’s AFB would create 470,000 (full-time equivalent) jobs in its first year alone. By year 2 of the plan, 600,000 new (full-time equivalent) jobs will exist. -This year’s AFB will also bring in […]
I’ve written a blog post about the 2018 federal budget. Points made in the blog post include the following: -Important new housing investments were made for First Nations, Inuit and Métis people. -The Working Income Tax Benefit was expanded, made automatic and rebranded (i.e., renamed). -Canada’s official unemployment is now the lowest it’s been in decades. […]
I’ve just written a blog post about homelessness and employment, with a focus on Calgary (where I live and work). Points raised in the blog post include the following: -Persons experiencing homelessness usually have poor health outcomes, making it especially challenging to find and sustain employment. -There are several non-profits in Calgary that assist persons […]
The 2018 Alberta Alternative Budget (AAB) was released yesterday—it can be downloaded here. An opinion piece I wrote about the AAB appeared yesterday in both the Calgary Herald and the Edmonton Journal. Inspired by the Alternative Federal Budget exercise, this year’s AAB was drafted by a working group consisting of individuals from the non-profit sector, […]
I recently wrote a ‘top 10’ overview blog post about the 2018 Saskatchewan budget. Following on the heels of that, I’ve now written an opinion piece about the budget’s announcement of a phase out a rental assistance program for low-income households. Points raised in the opinion piece include the following: -Across Saskatchewan, rental vacancy rates […]
Members of the Progressive Economists Forum noted with dismay the premature cancellation of Ontario’s basic income pilot and have penned an open letter to Federal Minister Jean-Yves Duclos (Families, Children and Social Development) calling for federal support for the project. So far, the letter has been signed by 50 Canadian economists and researchers. _____ Dear […]